A good dog bed should be a safe haven where your dog can comfortably snooze while dreaming of chasing the neighborhood squirrels. Dogs are naturally den animals. This basically means that they need their own haven where they can feel safe and sound. They need a place where they can go when they need rest or when they are feeling stressed. For many dogs, this sanctuary is usually their bed. If you don't provide your dog with a proper den of its own, it will usually find a way to create its own den, usually at the expense of your couch or favorite chair! In addition to being den animals, dogs sleep between 12-16 hours per day on average. Not only do they deserve a bed that is comfortable, but they will sleep much better when they feel snug and secure.
Nowadays there are many different styles of dog beds to choose from. But how do you choose? One important thing to consider is your dog's individual personality. Some dogs really like to curl up in their beds while others are usually stretched out and some do a combination of both. Another thing to consider is your own individual style. You shouldn't have any problem finding a good bed that matches well with your decor and furnishings. You will find that most beds come in a variety of colors, patterns and styles. Below is a list of 5 of the most popular dog beds and their advantages.
1. Bolster Dog Beds: Types of bolster beds include the donut bed, dog couch or any bed that has a raised padded exterior section. This is probably one of the most popular beds because the high back of the bed creates a very safe and cozy haven for the dog. They can really curl up and snuggle down in this bed. The covers are usually removable for easy washing and they come in a large variety of colors, patterns and styles. You'll often find many designer dog beds in this style.
2. Memory Foam Dog Beds: These orthopedic dog beds are excellent for the dog with arthritis or other joint problems. But they are also great for any find here dog and can help to maintain health by providing a supportive, comfortable surface to rest on. The major benefit of this bed is that the memory foam molds to the dogs body and so helps to relieve aches and pains while at the same time increasing circulation. This increased circulation can help reduce the time it takes to heal from injuries. In fact, many veterinarians recommend memory foam beds for dogs who have recently had surgery.
3. Raised Style Dog Beds: Also known as cot style, these are good outdoor dog beds that are ideal for dogs who spend a lot of their time outside. This style bed will keep your dog cool in summer and off the cold floor in winter. You can also purchase a separate mat to lay on top of these beds to add cushion for a more comfortable and secure feeling.
4. Nest Dog Beds: These smaller, round pillow type beds are great for the smaller dog who like to burrow in and nest. Like the bolster bed, dogs will really feel cozy and secure inside the plush walls. Dogs love the feeling of being surrounded by the nest bed's cushioned walls. These unique dog beds are ideal for the deep cuddler!
5. Pillow Style Dog Beds: These beds come in all sizes and shapes... round, rectangle, square. I have even seen one in the shape of a dog paw! These beds are fairly basic, but will provide the comfort your dog needs. These beds are great for the dog who really likes to stretch out when sleeping because there are no cushioned walls to confine him. One of the best things about these beds is that there are literally hundreds to choose from and most come with removable covers for easy washing. You'll also find a large selection of these beds with fabric that is made for the outdoors.
Since the above beds come in an array of sizes (with the exception of the nest bed) they are great dog beds for large dogs as well as for small dogs. Whichever bed you choose, know that you are providing a much needed haven for your pooch. It is not only a place where they can sleep, but it is also acts as their den where they know they are safe and secure.